Piazza Center for Plastic Surgery and Advanced Skin Care
7900 Farm to Market Road 1826, Bldg 2, Suite 206
Austin, TX 78737
Phone: (512) 288-8200
Monday–Thursday: 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
Friday: 9 a.m.–2 p.m.
KYBELLA® Double Chin Treatment
KYBELLA is the only FDA-approved nonsurgical injectable product proven to safely and effectively destroy the fat cells underneath your chin. Simple KYBELLA injections help Austin-area women and men reduce the appearance of fat and fullness that contribute to a double chin.
At The Piazza Center, we believe that beautiful results are enhanced by leading a healthy lifestyle. Our aim is to help you achieve your cosmetic goals and desires. If you live in or around Austin and fat reduction treatments such as KYBELLA interest you, request an in-person or virtual consultation online or call our office at (512) 288-8200.
Your KYBELLA Procedure
During your consultation, one of our board-certified plastic surgeons, Dr. Rocco Piazza or Dr. Marcelo Antunes, or our advanced nurse injector Hayley Peña, RN, will talk with you about your goals and discuss your options for treatment. Once you and your provider have determined a treatment plan, your treatment will begin.
Before your treatment, you will have the option to use Pro-Nox™ treatment (laughing gas) to help control any discomfort you may experience. Traditionally, using ice following the treatment provides the majority of our clients with a comfortable treatment.
The KYBELLA Treatment Process
- We take photos of the treatment area prior to injection for the assessment of before/after results.
- Your provider cleanses the skin in the treatment area.
- Using a grid tool, the area beneath your chin is marked to serve as a guide during the injection process. This ensures complete, even product coverage.
- Your provider makes the injections, a process that usually takes just a few minutes to complete.
Once your KYBELLA treatment has been completed, we will provide you with post-injection care instructions. Generally, you will be free to resume your normal activities immediately. After the treatment, you may experience moderate swelling, mild tenderness, and temporary redness. Swelling is expected following treatment for approximately 3 to 7 days, but reactions vary by patient. We often schedule KYBELLA treatments around any special occasions, lifestyle limitations, etc. because of this temporary swelling.
Important to Keep in Mind
- When it comes to KYBELLA, we celebrate swelling! Swelling tells us that KYBELLA is doing its job to destroy fat and sculpt your desired area.
- Most patients need 3 to 6 KYBELLA treatments, spaced 6 to 8 weeks apart to achieve maximum results. Results are seen over the course of several months following the treatment.
- Ultimately, your body decides the outcome. There’s no real way to know ahead of time what your results will be. With KYBELLA treatments, results vary by patient more than other nonsurgical procedures. Not all patients see the same results with the same number of treatments.
Candidates for KYBELLA
KYBELLA might be a good choice if you are:
- Looking to reduce fat in a small area, especially a double chin.
- Relatively young, with good skin tone and not much excess skin (which could get droopy once the fat’s gone).
- Not expecting the kind of dramatic improvement that a surgical procedure like liposuction could give you.
- Willing to hide some moderate to severe swelling for as long as a few weeks after your treatment (scarves are key).
Real Patients. Real Stories
Helping Our Patients to Live Confidently
Find out what it's like to be a patient of The Piazza Center. Review the stories and "after" photos of some of the plastic surgery patients who've shared their experiences with us.View Stories
Common Questions About KYBELLA
How does KYBELLA work?
Using an active ingredient called deoxycholic acid, KYBELLA works to safely dissolve fat. This ingredient occurs naturally in the digestive tract (a similar molecule is produced by your liver) where its main function is breaking down fat in the foods we eat, making them easier to digest and metabolize. When administered to the fat beneath your skin, deoxycholic acid goes to work breaking down the fat into small enough particles to ensure it’s flushed away by the body.
Are there effective alternatives to KYBELLA? What is the best option for long-term fat reduction?
The short answer is, yes, there are a variety of effective ways to reduce the appearance of fat. However, consulting with your provider will provide a customized treatment plan that takes into consideration your area of concern, desired outcome, lifestyle, and downtime limitations in order to determine the best long-term fat reduction treatment plan for you. Common alternatives to KYBELLA are neck liposuction and CoolSculpting®. The beauty of KYBELLA is the ability to avoid the operating room and to return to normal activity soon after treatment. However, KYBELLA is best designed for small treatment areas such as the chin. Larger areas are better suited for other options.
- Submental (chin) liposuction is a minimally-invasive surgical procedure that removes fat through a cannula (thin tube). It removes more significant amounts of fat than any nonsurgical fat reducing option, so you can have a noticeable difference in your profile. Liposuction is most commonly done in the operating room and requires a brief recovery.
- CoolMini (CoolSculpting) is a nonsurgical treatment that freezes and destroys excess fat cells under your chin. It’s the other popular nonsurgical option for removing fat, but requires that you have a large enough treatment area in order to fit in the pre-mapped applicator.
When will I start to see results following my KYBELLA treatment?
Over the course of the 4 to 6 weeks following treatment, you should start seeing some changes in the treated area. The targeted fat gradually breaks down and shrinks, leaving behind an attractive, contoured profile. Typically, the results created by KYBELLA can last indefinitely.
How many treatments will I need?
We will create a tailored treatment plan based on your desired area of treatment. At each treatment, you will be given multiple small injections in the treatment area. You may receive up to 6 treatment sessions, spaced at least 1 month apart. Many patients experience visible results in 2 to 4 KYBELLA treatments. (Almost 60% of patients received 6 treatments in clinical studies.)