The Piazza Center for Plastic Surgery and Advanced Skin Care
7900 Farm to Market Road 1826, Bldg 2, Suite 206
Austin, TX 78737
Phone: (512) 288-8200
Monday–Thursday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
Board-certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Marcelo Antunes performs blepharoplasty, often called eyelid surgery, in Austin, TX, to restore the upper and lower eyelids to their natural, youthful appearance. The result is a refreshed, rested, and energized appearance. This is a procedure that addresses excess skin and protruding fat (when present) around the eyes, creating a smooth contour between the upper eyelids and eyebrows and the lower eyelids and cheeks. Blepharoplasty is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic procedures. It can provide a remarkable improvement in your appearance as it is a powerful form of eye rejuvenation.
Can You Benefit from Eyelid Surgery?
The eyes are the most engaging and expressive area of the face and often the first facial feature noticed by others. While inviting eyes are fundamental to a youthful appearance, the eye area is one of the first parts of the face to show signs of aging. As a result, it can be frustrating when saggy skin, lax tissue, and protruding fat around your eyes make you look tired, disinterested, unhealthy, and ultimately, much older than your actual age. For some people, these concerns can be hereditary and may develop as early as in the 20s.
While aging is unavoidable, eyelid surgery can rejuvenate the appearance of the eyes. This procedure can also expand the field of vision for some patients. This is a safe and effective procedure designed to lift and smooth the upper and lower eyelids’ skin and fat (if needed).
Why Choose a Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist?
Every patient has different goals and eyelid contours and creases; therefore, the surgeon needs to tailor the surgery to these differences. For optimal results, eyelid surgery should be performed by a surgeon who:
- Has a thorough knowledge of the eyelid and facial anatomy
- Performs a detailed physical examination
- Discusses the expected outcomes of surgery
When properly performed, blepharoplasty is an effective procedure that restores a youthful and energetic appearance, correcting the fatigued and uninterested look common to aging. Dr. Antunes takes great pride in his work and when it comes to eyelid lifts. He meticulously creates harmonious and long-lasting results with a variety of techniques based on the patient’s specific needs.
Meet Dr. Antunes
Board-certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Marcelo Antunes dedicates his practice exclusively to aesthetic procedures for the face. He can help you look your best and be confident in your appearance.About Dr. Antunes
Nonsurgical approaches to lifting the brow include the use of BOTOX® Cosmetic. This approach relaxes the forehead muscles to reduce the severity of frown lines and other deep wrinkles so that the muscles that pull up the brow can work unopposed. In other patients, injectable fillers can be applied to the brow area providing fullness that can create a rejuvenated appearance. These nonsurgical options are less expensive and less invasive, and although they are a great option for many people, it’s important to note that the results last months instead of years with a surgical brow lift.
Aging of the Eye Area
The eye area shows signs of aging in a number of ways, including:
- Heavy upper eyelids: Heaviness of the upper eyelids and puffiness around the upper eyes can be treated with an upper blepharoplasty to remove excess skin, fat, or both. It is important to evaluate the role of the eyebrow position in the heaviness of the upper eyelid – sometimes, droopy eyebrows create “additional” heaviness, and therefore need to be addressed with a brow lift for an optimal outcome.
- Crow’s feet: BOTOX® Cosmetic injections are the best approach to relax and smooth these creases at the outer corners of the eyes. Upper eyelid surgery does not address crow’s feet.
- Droopy eyebrows: BOTOX can sometimes raise eyebrow position in cases of mild droopiness. A brow lift can be used to return a brow to a more youthful position.
- Dark circles under the eyes: It is important to properly identify the cause of dark circles before choosing a treatment. This condition is commonly caused by loss of volume in the lower eyelid-cheek area making deeper areas appear darker. Volume loss can be treated with a lower blepharoplasty or injectable fillers. Pigmentation changes, which are often hereditary, can also cause dark under-eyes circles. In this case, a skin care regimen is a must; often a light chemical peel or laser treatment can be effective. Dark circles can also be secondary to lifestyle (such as lack of sleep or dehydration) and can be treated by making lifestyle changes.
- “Eye bags” or puffiness under the eyes: This concern is usually secondary to protrusion of fat. A lower blepharoplasty can remove the excess fat that causes the puffiness.
- Crepey skin under the eyes: Mild to moderate crepiness of the lower eyelid skin can be treated with a chemical peel or laser treatment. Moderate to severe crepiness is best treated by removing the excess skin with lower eyelid surgery.
Real Patients. Real Stories
Helping Our Patients to Live Confidently
Find out what it's like to be a patient of The Piazza Center. Review the stories and "after" photos of some of the plastic surgery patients who've shared their experiences with us.View Stories
Modern Blepharoplasty Techniques
Blepharoplasty has evolved significantly over the past decade. There has been a shift from removing excessive skin and fat to a more conservative approach with more repositioning of the fatty tissue to improve the contour of the area. Over the years, surgeons learned that over-aggressive removal of tissues might produce desired results for the first months after surgery, but usually leaves the patient with a hollowed and skeletal appearance in the long run. Dr. Antunes’ approach involves removing just enough skin and fat to create a youthful eye appearance while preserving and repositioning existing tissues as much as possible. He often combines upper eyelid surgery with a brow lift, cheek lift, and fat transfer or fillers to enhance the final result and create harmony and a natural appearance.
As a facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Antunes is well-trained to perform plastic surgery exclusively on the face. He knows his responsibility when evaluating the areas of concern and recommending the best approach. Dr. Antunes performs eyelid surgery utilizing minimally invasive techniques that address both the skin and fat tissues. Extensive planning will take place before surgery to account for your unique facial features including:
- Eyebrow height and contour
- The brow area’s relationship with the upper eyelids
- The prominence of the cheeks and their relationship with the lower lids
Our results speak for themselves through our satisfied patients. Every treatment is customized with your needs in mind to ensure your end result is exactly what you were looking for.
Dr. Antunes performs eyelid surgery using local anesthesia or deep sedation. He performs the procedure, which takes between 1 to 3 hours to complete, by personalizing the following techniques to your unique needs:
- Upper eyelid surgery incisions are hidden within the upper eyelid crease. Excess eyelid skin is removed, and fat is repositioned or removed (if necessary) to rejuvenate the upper eyelid.
- Lower eyelid surgery incisions are made on the inside of the eyelid and under the lash line. Excess skin is removed if needed, and the “bags” (fatty tissues) are either repositioned or removed to restore the under-eye area to a rested, more youthful appearance.
You will need someone at home for the first 24 hours after surgery because swelling around the eyes may make it difficult to see initially. Patients typically do not experience much pain after surgery.
Recovery After Eyelid Surgery
Most patients return to work in 1 week and are back to full physical activities in 10 days. Swelling usually subsides in the first 2 or 3 days. Bruising may occur in some cases and can be easily camouflaged with makeup. Remarkably, eyelid surgery is minimally painful; patients usually feel well immediately after the procedure.
Eyelid Surgery at a Glance
Goal: Restore a more youthful and rested look to the eye area. Improve peripheral vision in some patients.
Procedure: Upper eyelid lift: Incisions are hidden within the upper eyelid crease. Excess eyelid skin is removed, and fat is repositioned or removed (if necessary) to rejuvenate the upper eyelids.
Lower eyelid lift: Incisions are made on the inside of the lower eyelid and under the lash line. Excess skin is removed, and the undereye “bags” (fatty tissues) are either repositioned or removed to restore a more youthful appearance.
Anesthesia: Local anesthesia or deep sedation
Procedure length: 1 to 3 hours
Aftercare: Patients need the assistance of an adult friend or family member at home for the first 24 hours after surgery because temporary swelling around the eyes may make it difficult to see. Most patients do not experience much pain after surgery.
Recovery: Swelling usually subsides within the first 2 or 3 days. Bruising may occur in some cases; it can be easily camouflaged with makeup. Remarkably, eyelid surgery involves minimal pain. Patients usually feel well immediately after the procedure. Most patients return to work in 1 week and are back to full physical activities in 10 days. Recovery for lower eyelid surgery can be longer.
- Day 4 to 5: Suture removal
- Within 7 days: Return to work and social activities
- 10 days: Ready for makeup
- 6 weeks: 75% healed
- 6 months: 100% healed
Dr. Antunes takes great pride in helping his eyelid surgery patients look naturally refreshed. His talent and surgical skill attract women and men seeking eyelid surgery from San Antonio and throughout Texas. Request an in-person or virtual consultation using the online form to meet with him and discuss your concerns. You can also call The Piazza Center at (512) 288-8200 to schedule an appointment.